On the first Monday in April, a celebration is held for the sweet potato in Benton, KY with a parade and exhibits and contests. Who will be crowned Miss Tater Day?
Baked Sweet-Potato Fries
- Vegetable oil for parchment
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds) skins on, scrubbed and cut into 4-inch sticks, each 1/2 inch thick
- 3 large egg whites (a scant 1/2 cup)
- Mediterranean Spice: Place all in spice grinder or small food processor and grind briefly to blend.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with racks in the upper and middle positions. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and rub with oil.
- Put sweet potatoes in a microwave-safe container, cover, and microwave 2 minutes. Stir gently, cover, and microwave 1 to 2 minutes more until pieces are pliable. Let rest 5 minutes covered; pour onto a platter.
- In a large bowl, whisk egg whites until frothy, add spice mix, and whisk to blend. Working in batches, toss the sweet-potato pieces in the seasoned egg whites, letting the excess liquid drip back into the bowl. Place in a single layer on prepared baking sheets. Bake 10 minutes, then flip pieces over with a spatula. Rotate baking shehttp://www.marthastewart.com/261838/baked-sweet-potato-friesets from front to back and from one rack to the other. Bake until dark golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.